Monday 3 August 2015

Unrequited Love

You stare into my soul with your deep blue eyes, beckoning me forth to drown within them. My heart pounds in my chest pleading to be released from the captivity of my hesitation. You smile. My stomach does not flutter, but rather feels like the ricochet of thunderous wing beats, opening wide to slowly lift from the ground. I love him with every inch of my being. It consumes me. Some days all I can feel in the hold you have on my heart, squeezing harder to let me know you're still there, embedded in the muscle. 

I can hear them, the whispers of doubt. They speak your name. They tell me I am crazy, that I've lost my mind. 

Maybe they're right. How could you ever love me in return? 

You deserve so much more than me. I am a flickering candle that is too unstable to provide an adequate source of light, and you are the sun. I am incomparable to your brightness. 

I stumble, blinded by you. In this haze I am unsure what truly lies ahead. I want to scream at you that I love you but my voice is taken in the wind and carried far away. 

I am lost in this void of inner turmoil. 

I shout into the blur. I can't tell if he replies or if it's my echo. Just say something, I am desperate to hear your voice. 

My only companion is the whispers. 

I can not yell louder than them. 

They eat away at my mind. 

All is gone but the whispers.