Friday 26 July 2013

Who you are

When I was about 4 years old my favorite colour was blue because that was the colour of my eyes. Then when I moved into a new house my bedroom had pink walls and so everything I was given was always pink to match my room. When I was about 11 years old I decided my favorite colour was blue  again because even though my room may have been pink and a lot of things I owned were pink, I actually really didn't like that colour.

I think that was a defining moment for me. I wish I knew what I would have been like as a person without being sculpted by the people around me, whether that be family or friends, or even society in general. There is this girl in my year at school, and although this will sound mean, she is overweight and has greasy hair, a terrible laugh and isn't exactly what people would call "pretty" but although physically she may not be attractive, she is an amazingly loyal friend to those around her and people do often say terrible things either about or to her but she continues to be possibly the happiest person I have ever met and it makes me happy knowing that she is happy with who she is and just doesn't care what other people think, which is becoming an extremely rare quality.

Unlike her, i'm not exactly happy with the person I am, but at least I'm not the person I'm not. If that makes sense. Simply I would prefer to be who I am at the moment than the person that I'm not, because I don't think I would like that person very much. I wish I did know the sort of person I would have been if society hadn't have meddled, but really it wouldn't have mattered.